Your ceremony is arguably the most important part of your wedding day – it’s when you and your fiancé officially become a married couple! So, don’t let your ceremony fall flat. Incorporate some of these personal touches to make your ceremony uniquely you!
1. Create A Wedding Time Capsule : Creating a wedding time capsule can take a couple different forms, but the purpose is to bottle-up the excitement and feelings that exist on your wedding day and be able to re-visit these memories at a later date in your relationship. Some couples create a wine box. For this wedding time capsule the couple writes love notes to each other, brings a bottle of wine and seals these items into a box at the ceremony. Then, on an important anniversary or during a rough patch in the relationship, the couple can open the box, drink the wine, read the letters, and remember why they entered into the union.
Other couples ask their close friends and family to write letters showing support, giving advice, or telling stories of the relationship that are then sealed into the box at the ceremony. No matter what is included in the wedding time capsule, creating one is a very personal touch to add to your ceremony.
2. Tell Your Love Story : Every wedding ceremony should be different, because every couple is different! Get to know your Officiant before the big day, and make sure they are willing to tailor their message to fit you as a couple. A great way to make your ceremony personal is to ask your Officiant to tell your love story. Adding little tidbits and funny stories really livens up a ceremony and makes the guests feel included in the couples’ relationship. Some Officiants who want to go the extra mile interview family and friends about the couples’ relationship and add little quotes into the sermon.
3. Create A Unique Unity Ceremony : Creating a custom gesture to symbolize the union between you and your partner makes your ceremony unique and can be completely tailored to fit you as a couple. For example, if you and your fiancé are big beer drinkers, you could have a beer blending ritual at your ceremony. For this symbolic gesture you and your fiancé pick your own favorite brews of beer. Maybe you like a lighter brew and your fiancé likes a heavier, fuller brew. Then at the ceremony, the Officiant can describe how the properties of each brew relates to your separate personalities. Then, you combine your brews into one container making a completely new beer and taste your creation. Also, the beer can be served to your guests in bottles with custom labels as a wedding favor.
Another example would be to plant a tree together at your ceremony. You and your fiancé could work together to plant a sapling into a big pot to symbolize planting your relationship and both promising to help maintain a healthy, loving relationship. The list of ideas is endless, just make it completely unique to you and it will surely be a personal touch to your ceremony.
4. Add Family Mementos : Including family mementos into your ceremony is a great way to incorporate loved ones, living or passed, into your day. This idea is completely personal – perhaps you have a bible that has been passed down through your family, or maybe you have your great grandmother’s candlesticks that could adorn your ceremony space. Anything that is important to you and your family would be a great way to add a personal touch to your ceremony.
5. Make A DIY Ceremony Backdrop : A fun way to make your ceremony personal would be to incorporate a do it yourself project into the space. The focal point of your ceremony is you and your fiancé, so why not create a beautiful backdrop to frame the two of you. Your guests will be wowed by your crafting skills and the backdrop will be incredibly personal because you created it with your own hands! Click here for a list of easy DIY ceremony backdrops.
6. Have A Communal Blessing Of The Rings : A great way to involve your loved ones in your ceremony is to have them bless your rings. Attach your rings to a pouch or put them in a decorative box and pass them to your wedding party or your family members in the front row. Your friends and family can hold your rings and pray over them, offer good thoughts and wishes, or simply warm the rings before they go onto your fingers. This symbolic gesture instills your family and friends’ support for your union into the rings that you will be wearing every day for the rest of your lives. Limit the communal ring blessing to family members in the front row or just your wedding party standing at the altar with you. You don’t want the rings getting lost!
7. Write Personal Vows : Writing a personal promise to your fiancé and reading it aloud in front of all your guests is about as personal as it can get! Although writing vows can be daunting, it really makes your day unique and intimate. Guests love hearing personal vows because it really shows the love you feel for your fiancé. Adding a little light-heartedness or a personal joke between you and your fiancé into your vows is a great way to add personality, especially if guests are starting to get teary-eyed!
8. Do Something Different For Your Readings : If you are not religious, or if you want to switch up traditional wedding readings, have something personal, rather than a bible verse, read at your wedding. Again, you can completely personalize this idea to fit what matters to you as a couple. You could have someone special read a poem, or a love story, or song lyrics, or a letter from a close family member, or anything else that has meaning for you. Your guests will love seeing a new take on an old wedding ceremony tradition!
9. Make The End Of The Ceremony A Celebration : After your Officiant pronounces you as a married couple and everything is official, let the celebration begin! Provide your guests with noisemakers and give them something they can throw in the air, such as confetti, rose petals, rice or even beach balls! This is the moment everyone has been waiting for, so make your trip back down the aisle memorable!
10. Personalize Your Wedding Program In Unique And Creative Ways : Wedding programs can be a great way to keep your guests entertained before the ceremony begins, so let your personality shine through in them. You could transform your program into a newspaper and have a spread of ridiculous articles featuring you and your fiancé. Or, you could transform your program into a wanted ad, featuring each member of your wedding party with their own mug shot and funny description. Or, you could air on the romantic side by including poems and love stories about you and your fiancé. Either way, your guests will love this personal gesture!
This is your day, so make it completely personal to fit you as a couple!
Keep calm, and plan on! ~ Your favorite Assistant Event Coordinator, Rose
Photo Credit: Picture #1: invitationsbydawn.com ; Picture #2: projectwedding.com ; Picture #3: weddingpartyapp.com ; Picture #4: fearlessphotographers.com ; Picture #5: Stevie Rhiannon Photography